News

Actions

Bars in Downtown Ft. Myers host Zombie Bar Crawl

Posted at 6:50 PM, Oct 12, 2016
and last updated 2016-10-13 06:44:48-04

FORT MYERS, Fla.-- Businesses in Downtown Ft. Myers are taking matters into their own hands and hosting a Zombie Bar Crawl after Zombicon was canceled.  

"Instead of saying okay we are just going to cease all our activities and not do these charitable events," said Tac-o-rama owner Raymond Aulen.

Aulen is part of a group of owners in the area who have taken to Facebook to encourage people to dress up as zombies and enjoy bar specials at participating places. 

"I'm confident that people will still come down," said Blu Sushi Benjamin Dopp. 

Despite last year's shooting at Zombiecon remaining unsolved. Now more than ever, business owners said it's important to show people downtown is safe. 

"I think people are realizing that these random types of things can happen anywhere at any time," said Aulen. 

Participating businesses said they plan to keep customers contained and under control inside the bars with extra security they plan to hire. 

The bars said they plan to continue with the Zombiecon tradition with a portion of the money raised on Saturday going to Pushing Daizies, a charity that gives scholarships to local kids interested in the arts.

 For more information about the Zombie Bar Crawl: CLICK HERE