LOS ANGELES, Calif. – Rapper Megan Thee Stallion says she suffered a gunshot wound and was taken to the hospital over the weekend.
The Houston artist behind the hits “Hot Girl Summer” and “Savage” made the announcement in an Instagram statement Wednesday afternoon.
The rapper said the narrative that’s being reported about the events surrounding the shooting are inaccurate and she wanted to set the record straight.
"On Sunday morning, I suffered gunshot wounds, as a result of a crime that was committed against me and done with the intention to physically harm me,” she wrote. “I was never arrested, the police officers drove me to the hospital where I underwent surgery to remove the bullets."
She says she’s “incredibly grateful to be alive” and expects to make a full recovery.
“But it was important for me to clarify the details about this traumatic night," Megan continued in her statement. "I'm currently focused on my recovery, so I can return back to my life and back to making music as soon as possible."
Her statement comes after TMZ reported that Megan had been involved in an incident which led to the arrest of fellow rapper Tory Lanez on a weapons charge. TMZ says it happened in the Hollywood Hills early Sunday morning.
In her Instagram caption, Megan added, "This whole experience was an eye opener and a blessing in disguise. I hate that it took this experience for me to learn how to protect my energy."
It’s unclear at this time what led to the shooting or where the rapper was shot.