New details on Port Charlotte grow house bust
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - New details are emerging about a major grow house bust Thursday afternoon in Port Charlotte that led to two arrests.
Charlotte County narcotics detectives seized more than 400 pounds of marijuana.
The raid led to the arrests of 25-year-old Elier Enrique Torres-Milian and 33-year-old Yudelky Cabrera Perez who both lived at the grow house.
Narcotics detectives received information that a strong odor of fresh marijuana had been coming from the home and obtained enough intelligence during their investigation to obtaining a search warrant; it was executed Thursday around noon.
Detectives and members of the Street Crimes Unit knocked on the door; Torres-Milian answered. When they told him about the search warrant, he attempted to go back inside; he resisted but was finally handcuffed. Perez then slammed the door closed and attempted to lock it. At this point the front door was kicked open; she was handcuffed and taken from the home.
Inside the home detectives found two hydroponic growing rooms. Besides the marijuana plants both rooms contained the sophisticated equipment to grow marijuana. They included air conditioning units, sun-light transformers, timers, large filters, plastic buckets, lamps fertilizing materials, and humidifiers. The large plants were put into plastic mesh and collected for evidence; the cultivating equipment was destroyed. A pickup and a 2011 Dodge Charger were also seized.
Both Torres-Milian and Perez were charged with trafficking and cultivation of marijuana.
Sheriff Bill Prummell at the grow house said, “This is only the beginning. Since I took office last January, I reorganized the Special Investigations Division to include a supervisor of Narcotics, members of the Street Crimes Unit, a K9, and use of the Veri-Plate System that scans and records license plates on vehicles. We are targeting the worst of the worst.”