Shoppers busy making gift returns today
1 out of 3 people taking a holiday gift back
Fox 4 Rising's Colleen Hogan has some tips for you. Video by fox4now.comvideo
SOUTHWEST FLORIDA - The National Retail Federation estimates one out of three people will be heading back to the stores on this day after Christmas to return or exchange unwanted gifts.
Here are some tips:
- Make sure you keep the receipt or gift receipt if possible. Some stores will not accept an item back without a receipt, nor will they offer store credit.
- Keep your items in the original packaging.
- If you're trying to take back an electronics item, be prepared to be charged a restocking fee.
- Here's a caution for you if you're returning movies, blu-rays, or cd's you don't want. Make sure you keep them in their original packaging.
- Clothes, shoes and accessories have to be unworn and with the tags still on for a hassle-free return or exchange.
- One last thing. If you're going to be making returns, sooner is better than later. Most stores have a 90-day return policy but you never know if that same item will be in stock if you wait.
Colleen Hogan, reporter