Nearby neighbors react to accidental electrocution on Ft. Myers Beach
Two men die after being electrocuted
Two men are dead on Friday after being electrocuted in Lee County while at work. Video by fox4now.comvideo
FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla. - Two men are dead on Friday after being electrocuted in Lee County while at work.
Emmy Ruk is heartbroken to learn what happened on Fort Myers beach Friday afternoon around 1:30pm. The two men were electrocuted while working at a condo complex on Bella Lago Drive.
"You never expect a tragedy or whatever. It's work and some jobs have hazards in it," said Ruk.
Emmy works at another nearby complex and says it could have happened to anyone.
"That is terrible. Wow. It could have been me. I work with electricity and stuff."
The Lee County Sheriff's Office says 37-year-old Juan Bocanegra of Fort Myers and 30-year-old Dustin Manning of Bradenton were doing maintenance on a building when the cherry picker
they were in was lifted into power lines. At this time, it appears to be an accident.
"When I saw the cherry pickers, I said something happened with the cherry pickers," said Chris Prudente.
The Sheriff's Office says the two men were at the complex to address a woodpecker problem. Bocanegra worked for J. Baller Construction and Manning worked for Cutting Edge Moldings.
"So sorry to hear that. It's very sad, two working boys, young boys," said Maggie Manning, Fort Myers Beach resident.
Steve Beutler is also very sad to hear the news.
"That is what goes on this time of year. When most of the snow birds are gone is when we do all the outside painting, window washing, cleaning, things like that," said Beutler.
The Sheriff's Office says OSHA will investigate. Back in April, another man died after being electrocuted while trimming trees on Fort Myers Beach.