Viewers upset about terrier drowning at doggie daycare
Viewrs say the store manager didn't give a reasonable response
Callie was a 3 lb. Yorkshire Terrier. Her owner Alda Saul took her to Pet Coral in Cape Coral for a routine evaluation to see if she'd be a good candidate for daycare. But that was the last time they saw Callie. Video by fox4now.comvideo
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - Callie was a 3 lb. Yorkshire Terrier. Her owner Alda Saul took her to Pet Coral in Cape Coral for a routine evaluation to see if she'd be a good candidate for daycare. But that was the last time they saw Callie.
“Well, I knew something was wrong, but I never dreamed that she had drowned and was dead.” Alda says.
Employees let Callie play in this pool with other larger dogs, where she drowned. As supervisors watched, but never noticed.
"I don't know," said Pet Coral manager Terry Converse. "We can't armchair quarterback. We really don't know what happened."
Converse says he feels terrible about what happened, but says this is just an isolated incident.
"We're going to watch the dogs to the best of our ability," said Converse. "I don't think there's anything we can do to prevent an accident."
"From an accountability aspect," said Grant, "you have a dog die in your care you have employees watching the pool how does something like this happen?"
"No idea," said Converse. "That's what we're going to look into."
Those of you contacting us say that is not a reasonable response.
"The daycare needs to be accountable and 'I don't know, just an accident' is unacceptable. I am a professional dog trainer/dog sitter as well as the owner of several dogs. It is the sole responsibility of the daycare to not only have employees around the pool area, but in the pool itself."
"There should have been someone watching that activity every second. That was a horrible and wrongful death."
Sonja posting on Facebook:
"Prayers for the family of this poor little puppy who was neglected at a place that should have been safe."
"I always thought that my dogs would love a play date there, but not anymore. I'll keep them home, where they are safe."