Jump in female college students seeking sugar daddies to pay tuition
NAPLES - The number of female college students seeking ‘sugar daddies’ to pay their tuition has doubled, according to a website.
Seekingarrangements.com reports a 58% spike in female students signing up to be 'sugar babies' in 2012.
"Obviously a slowly recovering economy is a big factor combined with rising tuition costs, higher costs of living. Those all together really increase this trend in sugar babies," said Leroy Velazquez with Seekingarrangements.com.
There is the most obvious question about what might happen behind the scenes between the female students at the men who help them pay their tuition: prostitution.
"The key difference here is relationship. An escort or prostitute is conducting a sexual transaction is involved. That in no way resembles any form of a relationship."
Fox 4 visited a local college campus not connected to the report to get reaction from students.
"I feel like if they have a way to pay for it then they can do it the way they want to," said college student Dwayne Linton.
Another student we talked to disagreed.
"I don't know it's just kind of weird. I don't think it has to do with economics," said Azlan Allen.
Here are the biggest users of the sugar daddy site by university:
1. Georgia State University - 292
2. New York University - 285
3. Temple University - 268
4. University OF Central Florida - 221
5. University OF Southern Florida - 212
6. Arizona State University - 204
7. Florida International University - 187
8. University OF Georgia - 148
9. Indiana University - 123
10. Texas State - 131
11. Kent State University - 128
12. Penn State - 121
13. University OF North Texas - 112
14. Florida State University - 111
15.Tulane University - 109
16. Michigan State University - 108
17. University OF Ohio - 103
18. Columbia University - 100