Sprinkler system stops Cape condo fire

CREATED Jan. 8, 2014

  • Print

CAPE CORAL, Fla. - A single fire sprinkler helped divert a disaster Tuesday night in Cape Coral at a condo in the 1100 block of Van Loon Commons Circle.

Cape Coral firefighters responded to the call for a kitchen fire at around 8:15 p.m.  Firefighters made their way to the 3rd floor where they found a kitchen fire in an apartment had been extinguished by a single sprinkler head.

“This fire was located in an apartment that was a three story 12 unit building; the fire sprinkler extinguished the grease fire with no fire damage to the building,” according to City Fire Marshal Alan Carter. “Without fire sprinklers and quick extinguishment, this could have easily been fire that could cause a very significant loss from fire, displaced twelve families, and potential loss of life.”
 

Firefighters reported the resident was cooking on the stove when the pan caught fire and activated the building’s alarm system and the sprinkler head in the kitchen. Firefighters secured the single sprinkler that was flowing water and assisted in the clean-up water in the apartment.

“This is a classic example of how everything worked right,” said Michael Heeder, Cape Coral Fire Department spokesman. “The fire alarm activated quickly, bringing the firefighters to the scene within moments. The sprinkler head extinguished the fire, saving thousands of dollars in property.”