Staff Holiday Recipes
Patrick Nolan's Raw Pumpkin Pie
This recipe is one of my favorites for the holidays.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Chill Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: One 9-inch Pie
- Pie Crust:
- 2 cups macadamia nuts, almonds, walnuts or other nuts
- 1 1/2 cups medjool dates or other soft dates
- Pie Filling:
- 4 cups pumpkin cubes, skin and seeds removed
- 1 1/2 cups banana slices
- 3/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice, optional
- Pinch cayenne, optional
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. To make the crust, grind the nuts for a few seconds in a food processor with the s-blade. Add the dates and process for about 40 seconds or until the mixture is sticky and builds up the sides of the bowl without falling into the center. You may want to add a small amount (try 1 teaspoon at a time) of agave nectar to get it sticky enough to hold together when you press it with your fingers.
2. Press the crust mixture into the pie plate. You can make the crust as thick or thin as you like, depending on your love of nuts.
3. Place all of the filling ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until you have a puree consistency. If your blender is not very durable, you many want to add the pumpkin last and a little at a time, and possibly even cut it into smaller pieces first to avoid burning out your appliance.
4. Pour the filling into the crust and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.