Kitchen fire forces Cape family out of their home

CREATED Jan. 17, 2014

  • Print

CAPE CORAL, Fla. - A kitchen fire late Thursday night forced a Cape Coral family out of their home.

Firefighters got the call shortly after 11 p.m. to a home in the 1600 block of NW 5th Avenue.

Firefighters battled a grease fire which had spread into the cabinets above the stove. The fire was extinguished within moments after arriving.

Firefighters removed the burnt cabinets from the kitchen and opened up the ceiling to assure the fire never got into the attic. The combination of the rapid fire attack and the effort to overhaul the fire properly saved the rest of the one story home.

LaToya Williams told fire officials that she was at home with her four children and god-sister when one of the children decided to cook using grease on the stove. She found the grease pan smoking and even though she removed the pan from the heat source, it still ignited on the stove top. “I tried using salt, but that didn’t work,” said Williams. “So then we tried water and it got bigger, so we just got out.”

The house was rendered uninhabitable due to smoke and heat damage and the Red Cross responded to provide shelter for the family. Damage estimates were not immediately available and there were no injuries. Williams stated to fire officials the smoke detectors in the home did activate alerting everyone to the fire but she had already attempted to put the fire out by that point.

Cape Coral firefighters remind everyone that water and grease fires do not mix. Water repels grease and can spread the fire by splattering the grease. Instead, try one of these methods: